grub-devel

Re: Trying to build Rescue image for three different target and platform

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Trying to build Rescue image for three different target and platform
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:04:28 +0400

В Sun, 16 Mar 2014 06:56:46 +0100
adrian15 <address@hidden> пишет:

> > To be honest, I do not understand what you are trying to do here.
>
> The same thing as in:
>
> https://forja.cenatic.es/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=supergrub2/supergrub2.git;a=blob_plain;f=supergrub-meta-mkrescue;hb=22683e2b5fa0d65141c1be1a7487914b1d43f4dd
>
> (which uses Debian packages) but using source code.

Why would you want to build separate ISO for every platform? The whole
point of using grub-mkrescue is to create single ISO image that
supports and can be booted on all platforms.

> >> 8) What's the best way to build and install an hybrid system that
> >> includes both: x86_64_efi and i386 - pc stuff?
> >>

> > Just built and install grub for each platform you want to use;
> > grub-mkrescue will automatically include every platform it finds.
>
> Any advice for the special where I want to build x86_64_efi + x86_pc
> hybrid disk?

Not really. Just build and install both platforms using the same prefix
and run grub-mkrescue that is build to use the same prefix.

As mentioned, when building you should distinguish between host (grub
utils) and target (boot time). It is perfectly valid to build utils for
x86 and target for ARM as long as you have suitable cross tools. In
your case all builds should use the same host (which defaults to target
which may be wrong even for x86 case - consider 32 vs. 64 bit).

See INSTALL how to set various options for each environment.

> > I prefer to build every platform in separate directory, there were
> > issues with incomplete cleanup. If you hit one, please report.
>
> Well, as I don't want to have a separate directory for each build my
> question would be:
>
> What is it the official commands for doing a safe cleanup?

I always used "make distclean". But IIRC there are some files that are
not removed. Not sure to which extent they affect subsequent builds. I
had problems when re-building on Windows but they should be fixed now.

From my point of view, "make distclean" is official and if it does not
work it is a bug that has to be fixed.

> >> 9) A) What's the best way to remove grub configuration files installed
> >> on the system so that I can start from scratch so that already built
> >> target+platform grub binaries or configurations are ignored?
> >>

> > There are no configuration files after "make install" (if we do not
> > count /etc/grub.d as configuration).
>
> I meant the ones that someone makes grub-mkrescue to look for the
> /usr/local/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot_hybrid.img files which I suppose are
> not found in source code but in the system (Gnu/Linux filesystem I mean).

There are no special configuration files. If grub-mkrescue is called
without --directory option, it will enumerate all platforms found
under /usr/local/lib/grub (in your example). Just place additional
platform directory there and grub-mkrescue will pick it up.