grub-devel

Storing grubenv in nvram

From: Sergey Mironov
Subject: Storing grubenv in nvram
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 13:32:58 +0400

Hello, list!

I want to write a grub.conf which would allow me to keep a
crash-detection/fallback logic. In order to implement it, I need to
keep a state, so load_env and save_env are my friends. Unfortunately,
the storage I am using  is unreliable and I don't want to store the
bootloader's state in the filesystem. I am thinking about storing it
in the nvram. AFAIK, mainstream grub doesn't support accessing nvram
at the moment. But are there any forks which do support it? If no,
could you please point me to examples of accessing X86-64 nvram chips
in other projects (I am not afraid of doing some coding) ?

Thanks in advance,
Sergey