grub-devel

grub2: Patch to correct hidden timeout behavior

From: Andreas Cadhalpun
Subject: grub2: Patch to correct hidden timeout behavior
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 21:34:19 +0100

Hi,

I'm using Debian with grub version 2.00-20.
My /etc/default/grub configuration contains the following lines:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=3

Expected behavior: When booting, grub should display a three second countdown and if no key is pressed, boot the default grub entry, after the countdown finishes.

Current behavior: When booting, grub displays a three second countdown and if no key is pressed, the grub menu is shown, after the countdown finishes.

The problem lies in the 00_header.in script [1], specifically:
if sleep$verbose --interruptible ${1} ; then
  set timeout=${2}
fi

This just always sets the countdown to GRUB_TIMEOUT, even if the sleep is not interrupted. I think it should be something like:

if sleep$verbose --interruptible ${1} ; then
  set timeout=0
else
  set timeout=${2}
fi

I created a patch to fix this (see attachment). Please include the patch.

Best regards,
Andreas

1: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/util/grub.d/00_header.in