grub-devel

grub2 boot freedos kernel.sys

From: Beeblebrox
Subject: grub2 boot freedos kernel.sys
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:05:12 +0300

Len & Vladimir:

I just sent a repeat of the first message by mistake - please disregard.

>> You are trying to make it way too complicated. DOS doesn't like complicated.

I'm fine with that. I just went about it in that manner because I was not very sure how to get this done and more or less fumbling around.

>> I think the most practical thing to do would be to make a bootable USB key and use that along with the USBASPI.SYS driver to get access to the rest of the USB key after booting DOS.

You of course mean by this that I would have to have a dedicated USB drive just for this task - is that correct? I really don't want to have a USB dedicated and limited to upgrading of BIOS.

>> You can always modify FreeDOS to > suit your needs

Just to confirm: What I am trying to get done is possible then? Not that I want to make things complicated, I just want to be able to use a grub2-bootlader USB to multi-boot various tools (including BIOS flash utility from dos).
Sadly, flashrom does not work on my hardware as yet.
Thanks again.