grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Moving from Bazaar (bzr) to git

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving from Bazaar (bzr) to git
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 04:54:22 +0200

On 24.06.2013 12:27, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
Bruce Dubbs, 2013-06-23 00:52 (Europe/Helsinki):
Paul Menzel wrote:
this is *not* the start of a flame war about what VCS is the best.

Hopefully everyone will agree, that git is the most popular one in the
FOSS world (Linux, freedesktop.org, GNOME, KDE, …) and a lot of people
are now familiar with the basic git commands. So using Bazaar is one
more thing to deal with for new contributors before making a
contribution to GRUB. (I know there is git-bzr-ng, but it is still one
more step.)

Personally, I prefer subversion, but I'm not a GRUB developer.  The
choice of version control can be similar emacs/vi or Bourne Shell/C
Shell, so it really should be the choice of the primary developers.

I disagree. The choice of version control means a lot more than working
environment of a single developer (primary developer or not) because
that is the medium for sharing the source code. Even Linus himself uses
git over patches from email, even though the latter method is not bad
either for a single patch.

Once you master even a single DVCS system (e.g. Git, Mercurial, Bazaar),
the limitations caused by subversion or any other centralized version
control system start to look much greater than before.

I'd suggest trying to apply the workflow used by git development for
grub, too.

Make sure to have a mirror at github.com and if you don't want to use
github's issue tracker, put a big disclaimer about that in github. As
far as I know, you cannot disable public issue tracker in github
repository's settings.

Moving away from savannah is out of the question. Savannah is official place for GNU projects and as such we'll stay at savannah.