grub-devel

Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2

From: D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Subject: Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:59:38 -0500

Hello Peter and the rest of the group.

I appreciate Peter's efforts to help.

However, nothing so far works as needed.

With the old grub users who needed larger size characters simply added a vga= line to the boot code.  It was simple.

Now it seems to be very complex.

In fact all the answers I can find on the various newsgroups no longer work.  Also there is no one answer, but many answers, and then there are comments like "this no longer works".
font
Would someone make it so that users can make large fonts in the console?  There are those of us who are nearly blind but still like to see the characters on the screen.  We are comfortable using 640 x 480 configuration.

Completely blind people of course have no need to change the font size.  I understand and have changed the font size in the grub menu, but unless I can keep that resolution in the console, it is not what I want and need.

If I could keep that character size in console while running the screen at high resolution it would be perfect.

However, the problem still remains:  It is very difficult to do for a new user who wishes to use a console only system as many blind users wish to.

I am disappointed that I cannot find an answer to this question, if there is a better place to ask, I would be most happy to know of it, and I will ask there.

Thank you for your work.

David
One of the www.vinuxproject.org team