grub-devel

Re: SCO Unix

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: SCO Unix
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:06:32 -0700

On Jan 25, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Lennart Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:09:46PM +0100, GervanDijck wrote:
>> Why does FC18 not detect an installed SCO Unix OS , Windows gives no
>> problems.
>>
>> Can you inform me ?
>>
>> Everything with the bootloader goes fine till FC15. With FC16 ,17,
>> and 18 the problems start.
>
> Grub does what it is told in the config.
>
> If fedora doesn't put it in the config, then that's fedora's choice.
>
> I suspect given no one uses SCI unix anymore, fedora stopped probing
> for it, or at least stopped testing that it worked.

Fedora 15 and older, is GRUB 0.9x, and the grub.conf was manually produced
except for the Fedora entries (initially anaconda, and then after that for
kernel updates, grubby).

Fedora 16 and newer, it's GRUB 2, and anaconda calls grub-mkconfig to produce
the initial grub.cfg, and uses grubby to add entries for kernel updates.

So actually I don't understand the question because Fedora itself would not
ever have detected another OS. Either it's manually added to grub.conf in the
old days, or it's autodetected (or not autodetected) by os-prober via
grub-mkconfig on more recent Fedoras.

Chris Murphy