grub-devel

Re: Boot windows on external disk : "not a valid root device"

From: Hervé Guillemet
Subject: Re: Boot windows on external disk : "not a valid root device"
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 21:48:29 +0100

Le 02/01/2013 02:18, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko a écrit :
> On 02.01.2013 02:05, Hervé Guillemet wrote:

>>> Other than loopback, all devices follow the naming scheme insluding type
>>> prefix as detailed in manual. "usbN" means that the device is accessed
>>> using GRUB own modules. To use chainloader on EFI you have to avoid
>>
>> Ok, I tried, but then the external disk is not visible and ls only shows
>> me hd0. Can you see a possible solution ?
>>

> It probably means that EFI doesn't see you USB disk. Be sure that it's
> connected on poweron and be sure to use recent GRUB. If still doesn't
> help look if it's seen through EFI shell.
> For using chainloader you need disk to be visible through EFI, otherwise
> bootmgfw.ef won't be able to find rest of the files.
> If the EFI doesn't see the USB disk in shell and/or in boot device
> selection you should contact your manufacturer.

EFI shell did not see it.
However, after turning on some "Legacy USB support" option in the
BIOS/UEFI setting, it does, as well as Grub using (hd0,gptX) !
Windows has not appreciated to be relocated at the end of a USB cable
though, but it's another story.
Thanks to you 3 for yours answers and help,

--
Hervé