grub-devel

Re: Getting Started

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Getting Started
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 22:25:21 +0200

On 02.05.2012 06:27, Steve Burtchin wrote:
> Assuming such support is added, this would allow for a few or more
> specialized logical partitions that could have shared usage between the
> GPT-unaware OSs.  However, this extended partition would not be usable by
> any GPT-aware OS unless each logical partition has a duplicate definition in
> the GPT.  It is beyond my expertise to say if this is practical or supported
> by any partitioning software.
The only difficulty with creating logical partition is a need to have
some space before partition for pointer. This can be encapsulated into a
GPT partition of newly defined type. Having same partitions in GPT and
as logical is of no problem otherwise. parted and gpart can be extended
to offer creating such buffers when requested.
Also a long time ago I wrote a tool which can be used to transform
between primary and logical partitions at will at GRUB time without any
need to type numbers manually but in the light of recent developpement
it's preffered to use GPT for "permanent storage".
> I was unaware any partitioning tool supported this (ie. creating an extended
> partition in the protective MBR), and still not convinced such a hybrid
> state would be safe for unsuspecting users (ref:
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html).  I do not have first hand
> knowledge to say if this is a potential problem,
> but quoting from the referenced link: "There's no telling how some random
> disk utility will react to a hybrid MBR; it's conceivable that something
> intended to rescue your data will end up destroying it." (Rod Smith).

> Except as just stated, I have no concerns with using such a partitioning
> scheme, but have my
> concerns for leaving the protective MBR in a pseudo-random hybrid state
> (that is determined by the most recent boot configuration) to
> be seen by utilities or OS's that may think something is amiss and then try
> to fix.
It applies to all kind of MBR workarounds
> If it is the vision for GRUB2 to support an extended partition in the hybrid
> MBR, then in my humble opinion the ability to edit an EBR at boot time would
> be a desirable feature.  If one wants to share such an extended partition
> between LBA-aware and LBA-unaware OSs, then it is an essential feature IMO.
Some features are usable but are a recipe for a disaster in long term
like e.g. if you move your partitions and forget to change numbers in
config file. This is like asking people to locate their files by sectors
or enter the programs in hex manually. Such arrangements should be
discouraged when better ones are available.
> You cut off reading my previous message at this point.  I know that I made
> some false assumptions, but I would only hope that you would
> reconsider my previous message in its totality.
I won't. Your messages are way too long for the ideas you want to
transfer. Brevity and exactness are essential in such kind of conversations.
> By limiting GRUB2 support to GPT disks for users wanting more than 4
primary partitions, you are forcing them to migrate to GPT partitioning
even if they are not running any GPT-aware OSs or have no other reasons
to migrate.
Nobody is forcing anyone to this. You can modify yourself your own
system to your preferences. Or hire anyone to do this. Ad absurdum by
not putting a big red button on desktop which deletes all files you
deprive users of freedom to screw up by their stupidity.
Argument "implement this or you deprive me of my freedom" is an old
trick and it's not how free software works

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko