grub-devel

Re: RFC: UEFI/PXE and emulating grub-legacy-uefi-hacked behaviour

From: Richard Chan
Subject: Re: RFC: UEFI/PXE and emulating grub-legacy-uefi-hacked behaviour
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 04:20:32 +0800

Hi Vladimir and list

"The information from EFI network is used only if efinet is embed in
grub.efi. Otherwise you have to call net_bootp manually"

1. How do you "embed" efinet.mod into the image so that
grub_efi_net_config is called?
I presume you mean somthing different from preload of module?

./grub-core/kern/efi/init.c:  if (!*device && grub_efi_net_config)

./grub-core/net/drivers/efi/efinet.c:  grub_efi_net_config =
grub_efi_net_config_real;

The latter function populates the NIC structure from PXE, but in my case, it is
not being called.

2. For net_bootp, I can see the BOOTP request/reply but GRUB will
timeout setting the IP address. It is as if it doesn't see the BOOTP
reply.

3. On a Dell UEFI I have successfully used GRUB net/tftp with manual
IP addressing but can't see a simple way to set the netmask
insmod tftp
insmod efinet
net_bootp efinet0
## timeout , even though I can see BOOTP request/reply on the wire

insmod tftp
insmod efinet
net_add_addr em1 efinet0 172.31.0.167
## sets /16 netmask, any way to make it /nn?
net_del_route em1:local
net_add_route em1:local 172.31.0.0/24 em1
## now I can actualy ping the interface from another machine
##
linux (pxe:1.2.3.4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd (pxe:1.2.3.4)/initramfs.img
## Dell EFI network driver + GRUB tftp works  :-) :-)

Richard