grub-devel

Re: Grub version variable in shell

From: Andreas Born
Subject: Re: Grub version variable in shell
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:17:23 +0100

Am 11.03.2012 15:07, schrieb Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko:
On 11.03.2012 14:55, Andreas Born wrote:
In 1.98 there was that export issue, I already mentioned. When opening
a new context with configfile e.g. variables were exported to the new
context, but not marked anymore for reexport. So you had to reexport
them yourself. No way I'm maintaining a workaround for that.
What do you think of possibility
if [ x$feature_bug1_fixed != xy -o x$feature_bug2_fixed != xy ]; then
    echo "Too old"
    <basic menu>
else
<complete version>
fi
That's a possibility and how I probably would have used it. But it's still hard to decide which bugs get a feature and which not. For features it's similar, but probably a bit easier.

We probably need a feature feature_200_release anyway since it will be
starting point for most of backward compatibility (compatibility is
loose with 1.99).
Perhaps feature_20x_release is the way to go.
Yes, that would be fine with me too. I thought about that too, but actually I didn't quite see the difference between this and grub_version or grub_version_min.
Maybe there could be:
- feature_200_release: or whatever the version is if somebody
really only wants to test/support that one version
- feature_20x_release: or whatever appropriate for a series of
releases where it's possible to be backwards compatible

Thanks for your thoughts.

Andreas