grub-devel

gettext in scripts

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: gettext in scripts
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:54:07 +0100

Hello, all. It was requested to have a way to gettextize Super GRUB disk. Original request was to extend gettext with -s options but it may result in a mess to temporary variables. So I'd propose to rather use $"..." syntax with the exception that we don't expand it after translation to avoid some pitfalls. Sharing syntax with bash will allow to use normal xgettext --language=Shell. The real problem is as to how to include SGD strings in grub.pot. I see following solutions: 1) Merge projects and put SGD inside GRUB2. It's possible if its authors want it but many more questions would need to be discussed. 2) Import sgd.pot into grub.pot regularly. This creates an administrative overhead and requires GRUB and scripts to have matching versions. I don't know if it's easy to merge .pot files 3) Just have a few strings for usage by external projects. This would heavily limit the extent of internationalisation and would result in a lot of feature requests one after another for this or that string. 4) Have some way to load .mo from another directory. Perhaps something like locale_dirs=$dir1:$dir2:$dir3. This creates some problems as to how and when to load files and how to store them. The easiest way consisting of having multiple opened gettext files and try each of it in turn. Trouble is that then when adding a single directory we need to either reload all files or compare the previous list with current to reload only changed directories.
Any other ideas?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko