grub-devel

Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:01:23 +0100

On 10.02.2012 19:18, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 05:11:16PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
Imagine following setup: 2 disks with msdos and one with gpt. GPT
one is missing on install time and so no part_gpt is inserted. On
boot time is then one of msdos disks is missing and so GPT one is
needed to complete a readable device but it's inaccessible since no
GPT module is loaded.
Well I only hit this because one of Debian's update-grub scripts tried to
do a grub-probe and failed.  It wasn't an important one in my case,
so I disabled that script.  I do think most people would have a fully
working system before installing the boot loader so not a major problem.
I agree that it should be fixed but the question is how.
This and the rest of your e-mail is because of confusion of 2
concepts: grub_device and install_device.
grub_device is whereever GRUB modules reside and is determined from
$boot_directory/grub (default is /boot/grub)
install_device is whereever the core is and is the argument to grub-install.
They are independent since you want to put core wherever firmware
will find it independently of where your root is.
install_device is not infered from grub_device or vice-versa.
In mdraid example grub_device=mduuid/<UUID>  but install_device is
still /dev/sdaX
So if I tell grub-install to use /dev/sda1 as install_device, should
it not include the partition table support for sda?
No
   Currently it only
tries to include partition table support for grub_device, which being
an md raid returns nothing.
This is a problem. It should return the partmap of underlying device and we have code for that. What does grub-probe -t partmap -d /dev/mdX is?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko