grub-devel

Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:16:18 +0100

On 09.02.2012 21:50, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:33:01PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:02:04PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
I am trying to build a powerpc build using the current bzr tree, and
have hit a few problems so far.

I am trying to use gcc-4.4, which seems to cause issues with -Werror.
I think that is gcc's fault, and --disable-werror gets around that,
so not a big deal.

I am hitting bug #35452 of course caused by commit r3826, but even after
fixing that, commit r38xx does the same thing to another set of files.

I also hit that grub_arch_dl_get_tramp_got_size isn't defined.  It appears
it was cleaned up for powerpc as being unused recently, but dl.c still
says that powerpc has it (along with ia64).  Removing powerpc from:

#if defined (__ia64__) || defined (__powerpc__)
   grub_arch_dl_get_tramp_got_size (e,&tramp,&got);

seems to fix that.

Should I file bug reports, or will someone just fix these?
grub-probe prints 'raid' rather than 'diskfilter' for the modulename to
use when raid is in use.
grub-install also still (as reported about 2 years ago) tries to use
$grub_device rather than $install_device when getting the partition
table type.
This is not an error. (see other mail) install_device is only read from by firmware to locate the core. GRUB uses it only to infer root if $grub_device and $install_device refer to the same disk but $install_device isn't used otherwise by GRUB runtime.
Please detail symptoms if any. If none, this is a non-issue.

However, I did now manage to boot after fixing that.

So there is a chance I can make a patch to fix grub-install soon so it
actually works on IBM power systems.  Given I have a production machine
and a new machine around for a few days I can experiment until it
is right.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko