grub-devel

Re: conf/Makefile.common fails with automake 1.11.2 in autogen.sh step

From: Keshav P R
Subject: Re: conf/Makefile.common fails with automake 1.11.2 in autogen.sh step
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:20:13 +0530

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 02:03, Seth Goldberg <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

 Will this continue to work with older automake as well?

 --S

Quoting Keshav P R, who wrote the following on Wed, 28 Dec 2011:

Hi,
  grub2-bzr r3732 fails to compile in Archlinux x86_64 with automake
1.11.2 due to upstream change
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/commit/?h=maint&id=9ca632642b006ac6b0fc4ce0ae5b34023faa8cbf.

Due to this change pkglib_{DATA,SCRIPTS} is invalid. It needs to be
pkgdata_{DATA_SCRIPTS} due to which grub2 modules are not longer installed
at /usr/lib/grub but at /usr/share/grub. I added --datadir=/usr/lib and
--datarootdir=/usr/share to ./configure to workaround this problem, but
this is a dirty hack.

Since this seems to be a well discussed change among automake devs, I don't
think they might revert back. Therefore grub2 need to use a valid prerix
for DATA and SCRIPTS. I have attached the patch I have used (in combination
with --datadir configure option). Please fix this. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Keshav

From what it seems, pkglib_DATA seems to be invalud, for a long time. Only now (automake 1.11.2) it leads to an error. The actual error is

conf/Makefile.common:140: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `DATA'
conf/Makefile.common:150: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `SCRIPTS'

This error does not occur with automake 1.11.1 . I think pkgdata_DATA will not create any problem with older automake. The problemn is by uisng this, the modules and lst files are installed in /usr/share/grub instead of /usr/lib/grub (unless --datadir=/usr/lib is passed to ./configure). So now either automake devs should revert back thta commit, or (according to automake upstream) grub2 should use pkgdatadir instead of pkglibdir for DATA and SCRIPTS (i.e. modules and lst files).

Regards.

Keshav