grub-devel

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] firewire IEEE 1394 (ohci) module

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] firewire IEEE 1394 (ohci) module
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:21:43 +0100

On 14.11.2011 00:55, Robert wrote:
> I'd like to boot from Grub into Firewire IEEE 1394 (ohci)   ;-)

That's one thing we don't risk having soon. Few people even have such
hardware (my laptop has no firewire connector at all). Some of my test
machines have it but I have no firewire HDD. Even fewer of these people
have required skills (it requires someone who had a similar experience
like Aleš or me). And even less have motivation. Additionally since most
of external HDDs supporting firewire also support USB, it seems pretty
pointless. So it will probably never happen.
Of course, you can back up your feature request with work (a patch, make
sure you don't include any license-incompatible code, consult before
including any third-party code) or money (by sponsoring hardware and
putting a bounty).
> Robert
>

> PS: USB UHCI modules do already exist, but they seem to not work
> properly (v1.98)
That's old. USB has evolved a lot since then.