grub-devel

Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:35:08 -0700

Hi,

> @Seth: any comment on what Sun considers a public API?

  As far as I know, libzfs is not a publicly documented API.  I don't think I
can give any assurances about its stability.

>>> Then I wouldn't use /dev/zfs.  The less stable and standard is the ZFS
>>> API GRUB uses, the more likely is that one can argue it doesn't fall
>>> under the "system library" exception.
> We don't need system library exception to read /dev/zfs. It's not a
> library but a way to speak with kernel which is definitely interprocess
> communication.

  My gut reaction to that would be that it would probably be easier for the
ioctl interface to change than the libzfs interface, but that's my personal
opinion :).

  If you do decide to make changes for other systems, it would be nice to leave
in the libzfs code that exists for platforms that have it, if that's
allowable/possible.

 --S