grub-devel

Re: --no-floppy option for grub-mkconfig

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: --no-floppy option for grub-mkconfig
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:40:04 +0200

On 18.07.2011 20:27, KESHAV P.R. wrote:
> Hi,
>      Please provide a --no-floppy option for grub-mkconfig since
> grub.cfg file generation takes a long time without it in some systems
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/42565).
This should be fixed correctly in latest bazaar as long as /proc and
/dev are mounted and you don't use a paleontological kernel.
>  On a
> side note I think its better to make --no-floppy behaviour default
> with a --allow-floppy option required for probing floppy disks,
> instead of the other way round.
Have you considered the implications of this suggestion? Any such change
in defaults can make millions of computers unbootable and must be
considiered with care, not just "I think it might be slightly better".
Moreover if you think that some problem can be solved by modifying the
defaults, then your solutions is likely a workaround for real issue

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko