grub-devel

Re: How about boot Virtual Disk Drive like VHD, DSK, VDI, VMDK without b

From: Nathan Coulson
Subject: Re: How about boot Virtual Disk Drive like VHD, DSK, VDI, VMDK without bootmgr?
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 09:11:14 -0700

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:12 AM, 김민준 <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think that's impossible because Micro$oft have VHD licence. So this is big
> dream.
> However, I think that's possible about booting other virtual disk file with
> only grub2.
>
> p.s: I'm a korean student. So my translation can't be perfect. Sorry...

I had some success using memdisk (from syslinux), for booting floppy images.

linux16 /boot/memdisk
initrd16 /boot/disk.img

the floppy image was just dd'd off a real floppy. 1.44mb (Handy for a tech cd)

I believe memdisk has options for loading virtual hard drives as well,
 but it loads the images into ram.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------