grub-devel

Re: grub-setup inflexibility

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub-setup inflexibility
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:00:04 +0200

On 09/15/2010 08:55 PM, Joey Korkames wrote:
> Colin Watson writes:
>
>> On Xen (I'm told), it's possible to assign disk images in the host to
>> things that are named rather like partitions in the guest (e.g.
>> /dev/sda1), but that don't have an associated disk (e.g. /dev/sda);
>> indeed, the latter device is nonexistent.  This confuses
>> grub_util_biosdisk_get_grub_dev.
>>
>> There's really no other situation in which I think it's terribly
>> plausible that you might have /dev/sda1 but not /dev/sda, so it seems to
>> me that in this case we can reasonably treat the apparent "partition" as
>> a disk in its own right.
>>

> Can we make some of these 'decisions' switchable on the command line?
> I perform a lot of block device redirections (Xen, iSCSI, nbd, etc) or
> work from live cd's (where / is merely rootfs+unionfs with no disk,
> but /boot is a mounted disk), and grub-setup raises fatal objections
> that I would like to override when _I_ know what devnodes the
> bootblocks and the filesystems belong on.

It looks like you confused grub-setup (called from grub-install) with
grub-mkconfig (called from update-grub). Former accesses only to
/boot/grub and it needs to know about /boot/grub in order to configure
image correctly.
grub-mkconfig on the other hand probes for root but you don't have to
use it. If you prefer the old way of doing things you can simply remove
grub-mkconfig and write grub.cfg yourself.