grub-devel

Re: Completely disable graphics support in grub2 x86_64-efi

From: KESHAV P.R.
Subject: Re: Completely disable graphics support in grub2 x86_64-efi
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:55:45 +0530

2010/8/26 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
> On 08/26/2010 12:04 PM, KESHAV P.R. wrote:
>> 2010/8/26 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
>>
> GRUB doesn't handle the choice of driver by EFI. I would recommend
> If you supply the qemu image to test I might be interested in finding
> out the reason of this.
>>
>>> Additionaly DUET is labeled as being for test purposes only and not for
>>> regular use.
>>>
>> I know it is for test purposes only. I compile DUET (both EDK and
>> EDK2) in windows using visual studio. I use DUET to boot windows 7 x64
>> in UEFI-GPT mode because I have a GPT partitioned disk in a way hybrid
>> mbr cannot be used because I need access to all the partitions in
>> windows. Windows does not allow mixing BIOS+GPT
> Call Microsoft, and tell them to stop telling the crap about the
> impossibility of GPT+BIOS.

No one in the windows world know much about gpt, leave alone uefi. One
of the advantages of open-source world is the direct user-developer
interaction which in Microsoft's case is not possible.

>>  like linux or grub2
>> allows. If you to try the DUET firmwares you can download it from
>> http://tiano-efi-duet-folder-sk.4shared.com/ where I have given
>> instructions on how to set it up (requires windows).
>>

> EDK2 can be compiled with mingw under GNU/Linux.
> You don't approach the problem from right angle. Rather than trying to
> make grub work under DUET with all the incurring penalties you should
> look into loading DUET from GRUB. If DUET supported multiboot it would
> be trivial. I would recommend suggesting multibootor multiboot2 to DUET
> guys. With lack of those you need to stick to chainloader.

In the starting I tried to chainload DUET from grub2 bios, the duet
bootsector fails to find the Efildr20 and it did not work (I tried a
min of 10 times) . I gave up trying to chainload DUET and instead
started using grub2 uefi through DUET. I like the way UEFI works and I
have no plans to revert back to MBR partitioning for the sake of
windows compatibility.

See

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=h2r2a50f7881004011438m89746f5ct7f0d54bdd176ae15%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=edk2-devel

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=FC2FB65B4D919844ADE4BE3C2BB739AD1E038288%40shsmsx501.ccr.corp.intel.com&forum_name=edk2-devel

The tianocore guys recommended using OVMF under qemu or VirtualBox for
UEFI booting, but the prblem is I want UEFI booting in real hardware
using my real HDD (not some virtual HDD file).

The bootsector files used by duet are

http://tianocore.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=tianocore/edk2;a=blob_plain;f=DuetPkg/BootSector/Mbr.S;hb=HEAD
http://tianocore.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=tianocore/edk2;a=blob_plain;f=DuetPkg/BootSector/bs32.S;hb=HEAD

In case of  GPT (instead of Mbr.S)