grub-devel

Re: next release of grub2?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: next release of grub2?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:11:45 +0100

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:55:43AM +0530, KESHAV P.R. wrote:
> The link for new version
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Obtaining-and-Building-GRUB
> - ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-1.98-r2613.tar.gz does not exist.

I noticed this when building that version of the manual, but since we
don't have snapshot tarballs it seems as good a link as any ...

> In my system I manually compile the bzr version but I cannot do the
> same for packaging, I need a release version accoding to Archlinux
> Guidelines.

You're out of luck then, unless you want to roll a tarball manually and
that would be acceptable.  I'm not sure what the 1.99 plans are at this
point - Vladimir?

> The GRUB manual has good info, but only for bios systems. It does not
> talk about compiling and setting up grub2 for efi, coreboot and other
> firmwares grub2 supports. Those info are still available only at
> http://grub.enbug.org . Maybe you guys should move that site to
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub .

Please propose changes to the GRUB manual as diffs against
docs/grub.texi, if there are things you feel need to be included there.
I've been doing quite a bit of work on it of late, but most of my
experience is on PC BIOS systems and I need assistance from others to
document other platforms effectively.

I don't feel that simply moving the wiki pages to a new location would
be much of an improvement.