grub-devel

Re: grub2 on power6 box.

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub2 on power6 box.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:02:15 +0200

On 07/23/2010 05:39 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:57:37AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 07:56:27AM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
>> Serbinenko wrote:

>>> You need to add -p "<your /boot/grub in grub notation>". Also avoid the
>>> raid and lvm-related modules you don't need. OFW exposes ghost devices
>>> so assembling raids which involves looking at all devices is slow
>>>
>> I will try that (although I think I did).
>>
>> I can't even get it to do ls on any disk or anything.  It really seems
>> to be behaving as if it doesn't detect any disks.
>>
> So I fixed ofpathname (it was not working because it did find /sys -name
> $device, which mathes multiple things on modern kernels).  I changed the
> find to find /sys -type d -name $device and now that works.  So now I
> can run grub-install, but of course that just creates a /boot/grub/grub
> file with the main grub and a filesystem module attached.  It doesn't
> actually boot.
>
> It set the
> boot_device=/address@hidden/pci1014,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden:4,\grub
>
> /dev/sda4 is a fat16 partition mounted as /boot/grub.  Unfortunately I
> am not convinced the IBM boxes know how to read filesystems or boot
> files.  It seems it only wants to read raw from a PReP boot partition.
> So when I dd /boot/grub/grub to /dev/sda1 (an 8MB PReP boot partition)
> the system does start grub, but of course since grub was only the core
> plus the fat module, it just says:
>
> Welcome to GRUB!
>

> error: no device is set.
> Entering rescue mode...
>

> grub rescue>
>
> So what do I do then to get it to know what device to use?

Right now grub2 lists only aliased devices. You can either alias your
disk or directly use:

prefix=(/address@hidden/pci1014\,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden,4)/
I have some code on ls issue but the problem is to reliably determine if 2
nodes are really the same device

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko