grub-devel

Re: grub2 and hybrid MBR booting

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub2 and hybrid MBR booting
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:57:03 +0200

2010/7/3, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
> Using GUID in GPT to locate the embedded zone would be good but it has
> nothing to do with this standard. Robert made some work in this
> direction but never finished (he wrote MBR but not some required changes
> to diskboot.img) and nobody picked up his work.

If you refer to my "GPT MBR", it was mostly a proof of concept.  I
didn't really have plans for it.  I tend to think setting things up at
install time is more suitable than doing a search every time (and 440
bytes don't give a lot of flexibility...).

Also, HPA persuaded me that since he was going to work on standarising
his handover protocol, and my "GPT MBR" experiment overlapped with it,
I would obselete it to avoid conflict.