grub-devel

Re: grub2 and hybrid MBR booting

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: grub2 and hybrid MBR booting
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:41:53 -0400

On 07/01/10 15:42, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
After moving of partitions containing it's recommended to reinstall
bootloader

But I don't see the need to standartise the interface between MBR code
and the rest. Standartisation is good only for interoperability between
different software. But in this case both parts are from the same
bootloader so it will only reduce flexibility.

Two pieces of software: bootloader (e.g. GRUB 2) and partition mover/rearranger (e.g. Parted).

I say it would be nice if on GPT with recommended GRUB install (including using BIOS Boot Partition), if we did not "[recommend] to reinstall bootloader" but instead promised that everything* would keep working without any bootloader reinstall.

*except if partition numbering is rearranged and grub.cfg uses partition numbers not UUIDs, then the grub.cfg may need editing, but this is no different than a Linux partition's /etc/fstab maybe needing editing.

Is it possible for us to promise that?--what are the disadvantages of doing so?

-Isaac