grub-devel

Re: Vendor power-on button

From: Paul Vojta
Subject: Re: Vendor power-on button
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:52:58 -0700

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 02:31:05PM +0200, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder'
Serbinenko wrote:
> Hello, all. I've just merged vendor power-on button support into
> mainline. Here is extract from manual:

[snip]

> If you have a laptop which has a similar feature could you figure your
> address and contribute?

I have a Dell XPS M1330, and GRUB_BUTTON_CMOS_ADDRESS=85:3 works also for me.

However, I do have one question.

I have it set up now to boot directly into Linux when I use the main power-on
button, and I use the auxiliary button to get a boot menu, defaulting
to Windows.  But when I boot Windows using that button, it starts up
a MediaDirect setup screen (in addition to regular Windows).  Would it be
possible to (optionally) clear the vendor power-on button bit in the
cmos before booting?

--Paul Vojta, address@hidden