grub-devel

Re: search and boot using GPT GUID values

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: search and boot using GPT GUID values
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:58:40 -0400

On 04/06/10 04:22, Simon Kitching wrote:
So what do you think about
   (a) adding root=GUID as a kernel option

That's something you need to ask Linux folks, not GRUB folks. For non-initrd usage, it sounds plausible to me that you'd have a chance of achieving some linux-kernel-change (as long as you restrict the code-bloat to when GPT or a similar partition-table-format-with-uuids is enabled in the kernel-config). But it ought to work in common initrds too, not just non-initrd mode! (Distributors, such as Debian, I think are the people who arrange initrds currently...) So you have a few people to chase down, and ask, and possibly follow up by sending patches to, etc... good luck! Be ingenious in response to flames!

   (b) optionally using the search command from (1) above
so that something like the following can be done:

gpt-guid has been discussed on this GRUB list quite recently -- did you see Vladmir's post?

-Isaac