grub-devel

Re: Regarding virtual to physical memory mapping..

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: Regarding virtual to physical memory mapping..
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:36:44 +0100

El jue, 31-12-2009 a las 13:31 +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
Serbinenko escribió:
> kiran pawar wrote:
> > Also, when I allocated memory using grub_malloc() and printed the
> > address returned from the function it was (0x7da6d810). This seems to
> > be a 32-bit address. I wanted to know whether I can allocate some
> > memory in the region below 1MB?
> Only in experimental branch. But we're not currently sure if we will use
> this. If you want to make a BIOS call then use memory at
> GRUB_SCRATCH_ADDR. If you do something else please explain
How come not? Here's how it's done in drivemap, for example
    handler_base = grub_mmap_malign_and_register (16, total_size,
                       &drivemap_mmap, GRUB_MACHINE_MEMORY_RESERVED,
                       GRUB_MMAP_MALLOC_LOW);

--
-- Lazy, Oblivious, Recurrent Disaster -- Habbit