grub-devel

Re: Build failures on Ubuntu due to gettext

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: Build failures on Ubuntu due to gettext
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 00:04:38 +0000

Hi,

On Dec/10/2009, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 12:10:34AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Even if we're only discussing a change in five places, I assume we're
> going to find this situation in lots of calls throurough GRUB code.
> If this is so, it really calls for a solution that doesn't make GCC
> generate two memory references and pass two arguments.
>
> So first of all, how many times are we going to find similar calls
> that

very rush numbers, based on my non-commited pending to improve patch to
change commands/*:
address@hidden:~/grub2/grub/po$ grep -A 3 "\#\: commands\/" grub.pot |
grep ^msgid | grep -c -v %
86

> need to be adjusted in some way?  If we're going to find many of them
> (as I expect), I think this warrants adding a new function (which,
> btw, will also make GRUB slightly faster).

Plus about 10 in normal/* (aprox, 5 that Colin did and some more in
another pending patch I guess)

I haven't looked in other code yet.

I think that Vladimir proposed to do it in a macro now and then properly
count and implement as a function or not later.

From: Vladimir
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 01:15:30 +0100
> Then it's not worth it. But again we haven't gettext'ized whole grub2
> yet to know for sure. Perhaps a macro so we can change it later if
> necessary?

So, for about 86 in commands/* and probably some more in normal/*:
function now? Now a macro and then we review?

Colin: for me you can commit your patch some way or another so you could
compile in Ubuntu and I can commit soon more things.

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info