grub-devel

Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed

From: Qianqian Fang
Subject: Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:10:38 -0500

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
Is it possible to have a font with only these characters plus if
necessary some computer-specific characters? I don't expect users to
write poems in grub and so such reduced font would be well-suited for
applications when size matters (e.g. embedding grub2 into flash rom)
certainly we can. However the problem is I don't have char-frequency
statistics for Japanese Kanji/Korean Hanja, also even for Chinese,
it's from 1980s.

We can try IICore [1], which has about 10,000 char.

[1] http://www.ogcio.gov.hk/ccli/eng/structure/iicorecompare.html

Another question: are glyphs imported into unifont from ttf fonts are
vector-based?

no, they are manually drawn, similar for WenQuanYi's bitmaps. Only that
way, you can ensure the clearest look in small glyph sizes (and
it took years).