grub-devel

Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:29:05 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 24.11.2009, 19:12 +0100 schrieb Vladimir
'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
> > 2009/11/24 Robert Millan <address@hidden>:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Help is needed in order to provide the last bit that will make
> gfxmenu
> >> functional: fonts of multiple sizes.
> >>
> >> The sample tarball at
> http://grub.gibibit.com/files/overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz
> >> includes a set of prebuilt fonts.  They were built using a Java
> utility
> >> which ended up being replaced with grub-mkfont in our repository.
> >>
> >> In order to provide the basic infrastructure so that theme authors
> can
> >> begin developing their artwork, we need GRUB to build fonts from
> the original
> >> unifont files (unifont.bdf or unifont.pcf.gz).
> >>
> >> Can someone figure out appropiate parameters for grub-mkfont, such
> that
> >> when applied on unifont.bdf or unifont.pcf.gz they will output
> suitable
> >> PF2 font files?  A font file is suitable if it can be used to
> replace the
> >> prebuilt ones in overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz and its themes can still
> use
> >> them.
> >>

> > I suspect what you are asking is impossible.
> >
> > As far as I understand unifont is a single bitmap font in a single
> > pixel size and the tarball you sent contains multiple font faces in
> > multiple sizes.
> >
> While usually it's a bad idea to scale bitmap font it can be done and
> for our uses (mainly downscale and a bit of upscale) it may be
> appropriate for our usage.

grub-mkfont supports as input files everything libfreetype supports.
TTF is supported and there's also a unifont.ttf.
But our own .pf2 format is bitmap not outline.
--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer