grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Don't pass filename in multiboot command line

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: [RFC] Don't pass filename in multiboot command line
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:21:01 +0100

Hello!

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 05:20:09PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Committed with improvements as ACK'ed by Robert on IRC

I wasted at least half of a working day due to this change!  (As well as
others wasted time, who where trying to help me.)

Don't get me wrong -- in principle I agree with this change, but what I
do not agree with is simply, silently! changing this behavior: you know,
there are systems that rely on the previous behavior, such as GNU/Hurd,
or the issue I was struggling with, Xen, as reported in this thread,
<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-xen-devel/2009-October/002479.html>,
and finally here: <http://bugs.debian.org/557645>.

I have been looking in a lot of places (initramsfs, udev, lvm, ...) what
was possibly going wrong, but would not have expected that GRUB's module
would suddenly change its behavior.  Heck, I'm even on the grub-devel
mailing list, but I can't afford to read its hundreds of messages every
week.

``There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.'' of course, but
please think about the consequences before doing such incompatible
changes in the future.

Wouldn't it have been possible to use something like ``module --arg0 FILE
ARG0 ARG1 ...'', and ``module FILE ARG1 ...''  defaulting to ``module
--arg0 FILE FILE ARG1 ...''?

Regards,
 Thomas

PS: In general, thanks for the work all of you are doing with maintaining
    GRUB!