grub-devel

Re: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:56:22 +0100

Johannes Bauer wrote:
> >Did you try without drivemap?
>

> Yup. TrueCrypt immediately complains:
>
>  TrueCrypt Boot Loader
> Loader Damaged! Use Rescue Disk: [blabla]

There are 2 kind of booters:
Type (a) always try to boot from first disk. They need drivemap.
Type (b) respect the disk passed in %dl and boot from it.
Apparently truecrypt is of type (a) and win7 is of type (b) and is
additionally incompatible with drivemap. I see 2 solutions:
1) Ask truecrypt to make their loader respect %dl and don't use drivemap
2) Find out why our drivemap isn't compatible with win7. I suspect we
need to modify some more info about disks for it to work. I've heard
that BIOS supplies mapping between its own drives and hardware drives. I
guess we need to modify it, however  don't know the details. Can you
gather the documentation about this subject?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko