grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:07:00 +0200

2009/10/5 Bean <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I tried to get some borders into the previous demo but I got overlapping
>> panels.
>>
>> This should not happen because it is not supported. That's what the
>> layout manager is for.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think you misunderstand the meaning of margin_* properties. It means
> that the widget is always at a constant distance from parent widget.
> Once it's set, their position is fixed, it's not subject to the layout
> manger. This is used to create sticky panels like docks. For example:
>
> panel
> {
>  panel { id="aa" margin_bottom=0 }
>  panel { id="bb" }
>  panel { id="cc" }
>  panel { id="dd"}
> }
>
> aa's location is fixed, bb, cc and dd's location is calculated by the
> panel, they can overlap with aa.
>
> The sticky panel also doesn't move when view port is scrolled to
> display active item.

No, dock is easily created like

panel
{
 panel { id="aa" margin_bottom=0 }
 panel {
  panel { id="bb" }
  panel { id="cc" }
  panel { id="dd"}
 }
}

A panel should never be removed from layout management, it then
becomes pointless.

A top-aligned panel should be done with alignment, and should be only
possible in horizontal panels like this:

panel{
 direction = left_to_right
  panel{ id ="bb" ;valign = center}
  panel{ id ="bb" ; valign = top}
  panel{ id ="bb" ; valign = bottom}
 }
}

In a top to bottom or bottom to top the first panel is aligned to
bottom/top side of the panel automatically.

The margin property should not force a fixed position because it
breaks layout to the point that elements overlap and it's completely
pointless to have fixed position since position can be specified with
margins and alignment once width is fixed to include margins.

Thanks

Michal