grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Bean
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:54:24 +0800

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I only tried running the sample, did not look how things are done yet.
>
> The major problem is that the panels are not sorted in any way so the
> navigation is very confusing. There should be only a single toplevel
> panel which contains all active elements in a layout.
>
> However, when I put everything into a single panel I still get issues:
>
>  - the content is not inside the panel border
>  - focus is on an invisible element, not the first element

Hi,

Oh, that's a small bug, easy to fix.

>  - panels are not ordered left to right as specified

I don't understand, it looks left to right to me. Or do you mean that
small bar in the bottom ? It has margin_bottom set so that it sticks
to the border.

> There is an issue with setting the border and margins.
>  - if I set all margins to the same number the horizontal and vertical
> margins are different which is quite ugly

The default unit is character, which have different width and height
value, you can use the pixel format as:

border_width = "5/1"
border_height = "5/1"

Then width/height would be 5 pixel in graphic mode.

>  - the border settings offer many options but I miss the option for
>   - setting the text border explicitly to single/double border
> without using an image

I think image is most flexible, who want ascii border in graphic mode
? BTW, border in graphic mode doesn't necessary be full character
size, so text may not draw properly anyway. About the single/double
border, it's more suitable to config them using styles other that
property.

>   - replicating similar effect in graphics (that is setting a few
> pixel border with some space on either side - margin should set the
> outer space but I am not sure about the inner space)
>  - background bitmap does not cover margins. I am not sure if it is
> desirable to cover them, though. CSS works that way but I am sure some
> systems work differently.

I don't understand, can you be more specific ?

--
Bean

gitgrub home: http://github.com/grub/grub/
my fork page: http://github.com/bean123/grub/