grub-devel

Re: grub-install for FreeBSD

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub-install for FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:12:06 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 24.09.2009, 11:01 -0700 schrieb Brian R. Jones:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:36:01AM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
> > wrote:

> >> We're aware of this problem. Felix Zielcke has a solution but at this
> >> point it's deemed too intrusive. We'll probably commit it once feature
> >> freeze is over
> >
> > Alternatively, I could also allow a patch that checks the capabilities of
> > those commands.  It should try readlink first, and fallback to greadlink
> > if necessary.
> >

> Not sure if Felix's patch covers it, but there is also a problem with the
> 'sed' syntax in 10_freebsd and 30_os-prober.  It turns out that freebsd
> 'sed' is quite retarded (at least in 7.2) and doesn't know that '\t' is
> supposed to be tab.  Replacing 'sed' with 'gsed' or 'perl -p' fixes this
> issue.

No it doestn't.
Autoconf has an AC_PROG_SED macro which checks for a POSIX sed.
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Limitations-of-Usual-Tools.html#sed
Portable sed regular expressions should use ‘\’ only to escape
characters in the string ‘$()*.0123456789[\^n{}’

If I understand that right, POSIX doestn't mandate \t so it wouldn't
help us.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-08/msg00749.html

--
Felix Zielcke