grub-devel

Re: about smartcards (Re: TPM support status ?)

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: about smartcards (Re: TPM support status ?)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:24:27 +0200

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM, decoder<address@hidden> wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>>>
>>> This is wrong. Smartcards of course have a an interface to interact with
>>>  them.
>>>

>> Yes, but it's usually just a button or similar.  It doesn't behave like a
>> computer.
>>

> What I meant is the software interface. There are crypto protocols to
> interact with a smartcard and they are similar to the TPM protocols.
TPM has TCG bootpath smartcards don't have.
> The TPM module itself does not implement DRM either... It provides the
> necessary crypto routines, a smartcard does so too.
But it can be made to give the key only if you use Crippleware Reader
on Cripple OS with all drivers signed.
> You can use a smartcard as well for that purpose. Crippleware Reader 2.0 can
> cryptographically make sure that the smartcard is attached, and refuse to
> work otherwise. And you can make the Smartcard a requirement to read the
> book.

Few hours of PrintScreen job and I have DRM-free version of book. Or I
dump the memory of Crippleware reader. Or write Good Alternative
Reader. But with TCG bootpath these ways can be disabled
> I don't really see the point why people keep bashing the TPM module for
> purposes like DRM.
TCG bootpath with cryptographical distinguishibility from an emulator
even if you aren't computer owner (the one who bought it).

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

Personal git repository: http://repo.or.cz/w/grub2/phcoder.git