grub-devel

Re: booting iso image having syslinux

From: Peter Cros
Subject: Re: booting iso image having syslinux
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:25:34 +1000

Some comments about live iso booting and grub2 loopback -

After grub boots the live iso kernel and initrd, they need  to loop mount the iso again to access the live files. Otherwise the initrd would need rebuild, or some way found to pass the loop mount from grub.

I have been trying some available live iso's (there are others out there).  I am using grub.efi, not using syslinux..

These live isos do loop mount the iso, and run -
ununtu, grml, slax.

These don't -
fedora, debian, gparted.

In all cases, grub loopback mounting of the iso and booting the kernel and initrd works.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM, J.Bakshi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Are you using vga= ?  I fixed a bug recently (in SVN) that may cause this
> behaviour.

Then I have to reinstall grub from my sqeeeze box to the usb-stick
again to see the effect.