grub-devel

please stop this

From: Robert Millan
Subject: please stop this
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:57:52 +0200

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:49:37PM +0800, Bean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch implement a new object format, the advantages are:

Hi Bean,

Last time this was discussed [1], there was no consensus that we should switch
to a new object format.  Furthermore, Marco had some objections:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-07/msg00101.html

and I'm growing increasingly worried about this tendency.  Just about every
week we have to discuss a proposal that significantly affects core
functionality, which may later be implemented and sent as a patch no matter
what we have discussed, and if left unattended, merged in SVN, and afterwards
we and our users have and additional burden of finding new bugs and fixing
them.

I agree that we have a problem due to lack of leadership, but this is not
acceptable.  Marco is busy right now (traveling), so please put this on hold
untill he's back, then we can discuss it.

Don't take me wrong, Bean I really appreciate your contribution to GRUB, but
you see it as an experimentation ground, and GRUB is not a research project.
PUPA was, but GRUB aims to be a stable bootloader.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-07/msg00098.html

--
Robert Millan