grub-devel

Re: [RFC] New menu design based on MVC

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: [RFC] New menu design based on MVC
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:50:55 -0700

Robert Millan wrote on Thursday 25 June 2009:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:07:18PM +0800, Bean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The current menu system is a little chaotic, the various components
> > are mixed together which make it difficult to maintain and extend.
> > Therefore, I propose a new design which seperates model, view and
> > controller.

I would definitely like to get my graphical menu stuff committed before you
make such changes... :-)

> Isn't Colin already working on a redesign of the menu?

Yes, but I haven't drastically changed the design of the core menu system
except to add the concept of a "menu viewer" so that the text menu and
graphical menu viewers can be treated uniformly at a higher level.

In fact, I am nearly ready to commit my graphical menu changes.  I was hoping
to track down an apparent memory leak that shows up when switching themes many
times in a row, but I don't have to let that prevent me from committing the
current state of things.  I know Vladimir (phcoder) has done some work to get
an SDL video driver working for grub-emu; I am hoping that I can somehow use
memory debugging tools to track down my memory leak.

Does anyone have an idea if a tool like Valgrind would work with grub-emu to
find the source of memory leaks?  I guess it should if grub-emu is using
libc's malloc() and free() functions, right?

Regards,
Colin