grub-devel

Faulty grub-mkdevicemap file

From: BandiPat
Subject: Faulty grub-mkdevicemap file
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:26:58 -0400

BandiPat writes:
> Oh, has anyone experienced any problems with grub-mkdevicemap when installing Grub2 or updating? I had one user complain about it segfaulting on his machine, but I've not seen any problems. This is with svn2137.
---------------
Andreas wrote:
I'm experiencing also problems using it, but it's not segfaulting. Using a svn2130 build grub-mkdevicemap --no-floppy create a device.map with proper content like this:
(hd0) /dev/sda
But a svn2137 build (exactly the same BandiPat uses) creates this content, which might not be wrong, but at least the most important part my HDD is missing:
(fd0) (null)

Probably this problem was introduced by revision 2133 and obviously wasn't fixed in rev 2134 - 2137 and in 2138 - 2140 I can see nothing which might fix this.

It would be great if somebody could have a look what could cause this problem. Maybe davem as the author of that revision. If you need any additional information give me a yell and I'll try my best to provide it.

Decided to start a new topic more fitting to this problem. Sorry for what looks like a double posting.

I just tested on one machine, running grub-mkdevicemap -v from the shell, which resulted in a segfault and blank device.map file in /boot/grub!

Looks like some bug was introduced after svn2130 in the file.

Thanks devs for your attention to this one.

Pat