grub-devel

Re: Move loader.c out of the kernel

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Move loader.c out of the kernel
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:01:41 +0900

On Sunday 22 March 2009 22:30:24 phcoder wrote:
> Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> >> Why? I successfully tested core.img with just pc fat and biosdisk
> >> modules integrated. It loads boot.mod just fine and boots linux and
> >> multiboot with no problem
> >
> > Try the rescue mode with no extra module loaded. If the core.img does not
> > have any loader, it is useless.
>
> If it's unable to read FS then it can't boot much anyway. If it's it can
> load modules from its own partition. The only use I see is when grub
> partition is corrupted but OS one is intact and you already have FS
> driver for root in grub2.
> Alternatively commands/boot.c can be a part of minicmd

"cannot load any more module" != "cannot read the filesystem"

The most typical case is where the user has failed in installing GRUB
correctly; in this case, the user can still reset the prefix, and load
normal.mod manually. But, surprisingly, some users accidentally remove
modules. Indeed, I have heard many times this kind of "bug reports" in GRUB
Legacy. In this case, the only way is to boot an OS somehow and re-install
GRUB.

Regards,
Okuji