grub-devel

Re: ELF bugfixes

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: ELF bugfixes
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:43:51 +0100

David Miller wrote:
From: phcoder <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:21:45 +0100

I knew it but normally when you parse files normally offsets aren't
guaranteed to be aligned. But now it seems that elf parser is
written in a way to guarantee at least some alignments. Then this
part of patch probably is to be dropped or changed to proper aligned
attribute

These ELF structures DO NOT need the aligned attribute either.

Nobody, in any source tree anyways, adds either the aligned
or packed attributes to the core ELF data structures because
they are absolutely not necessary.  And this includes source
trees that support basically every CPU type out there.

Please stop making arbitrary changes, and instead describe on the
mailing list the exact problem you are trying to solve.  Then,
implement the solution which you can show is necessary and fully
understand.
Actually what I was doing now was discussing. If we don't discuss we may everyone create our own fork. I previously had problems because some of the structures in headers didn't have proper alignment attribute. My problem was that grub2 didn't load solaris kernel. Further it revealed that the problem wasn't the attributes. I fixed the problem (see the rest of my patch) however I decided to submit also that part to prevent potential problems in the future. If you're expert with ELF format and say that this part will never be needed, it's ok with me but please stay respectful and discuss instead of accusing.

--

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko