grub-devel

Re: GRUB trusted boot framework

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: GRUB trusted boot framework
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:15:07 +0100

Do you know if it is possible to determine where the files come from?
Well it's possible looking at filename and root drive but it's not reliable (e.g. ata0 can be hd0 but also hd1, when we'll have network support it will be even less obvious. Actually it's something grub2's architecture is trying to hide) and in this context not relevant. If signature is correct does it matter where the file comes from? At most what is necessary for these functions is being able to read the files like <original filename>.sig but it's trivial when filename is given
Hmm, to be precise we're interested in file reads. So if the loopback image is
implemented as disk driver, it should work.
AFAIR it's a disk driver which reads from file. IMO disk read hooks will result in messy and bug-prone design which is incompatible with grub2's versatility. And only the files that end up in memory or control grub need to be checked.

Greets,

Jan
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko