grub-devel

Re: A _good_ and valid use for TPM

From: Alex Besogonov
Subject: Re: A _good_ and valid use for TPM
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:02:43 +0200

Robert Millan wrote:
Private part of the endorsement key _never_ leaves the device (if
manufacturer uses the recommended TPM_CreateEndorsementKeyPair
method). Even device manufacturer doesn't know it.
Even if that is true (which I doubt), it's merely incidental, because...
It's not really incidental. TCG was initially started as a group to develop trusted computing platform. MS later tried to hijack it to realize their wet dream of locked-down computer.

Public key is then
signed by manufacturer's certificate. This ensures that the private
key can't be compromised.
...this ensures that $evil_bob can challenge you to prove you're running
his proprietary anti-user software.
So I won't be able to answer $evil_bob challenge in any case, since I'm mostly running Linux now.

The question is, will it be practical for you to do disable the TPM a few
years from now?
(I think yes, but that's not the point)

--
With respect,