grub-devel

Re: hfs patch (Re: State of GRUB on PowerPC)

From: Michel Dänzer
Subject: Re: hfs patch (Re: State of GRUB on PowerPC)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:55:44 +0100

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 15:19 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 11:38:36PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > Quoting Robert Millan <address@hidden>:

> > >Could you be more specific about what the table contents mean?
> >
> > Michel may know better, but I think it's the order of characters.
> > Those with the lower order go first in the sorted binary tree.  Those
> > with the same order are equivalent on the filesystem level.  That is,
> > "foo" can only be between "bar" and "quux" in the node tree.  "foo"
> > and "Foo" are the same tree node and thus the same file.
>
> I think what we need here is enough information so that someone can understand
> what the table means

I'm not sure what more information I can provide. :(

> and be able to modify it if need arised.

I think that's very unlikely: the Linux kernel code this is copied from
hasn't changed at all since Linus started using Git for 2.6.12-rc,
possibly much longer.

> An undocumented table just looks like a "blob" of binary data.

I guess to some extent it could be considered that - it's a blob which
is needed to correctly interpret the blobs in an HFS filesystem.