grub-devel

Re: Cross-compilation check broken

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Cross-compilation check broken
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:19:29 -0500

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 14:07 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> This check looks really confusing.  I naively assumed it was checking if we're
> cross-compiling like the comment said ;-)

I agree, the comment is misleading.  We actually check for the second
set of tools there, which is used to build files for the target.  The
first set is used to build for the host, and it can be a cross-compiler
as well.

> But if it really meant to compare target with host, I think it should be:
>
>   if test "x$target_cpu" != "x$host_cpu"; then
>
> rather than what was before:
>
>   if test "x$target" != "x$host"; then
>
> Since "$target_os" has no real meaning.  Does that work for you?

I understand that you are trying to exorcise "$target_os" by all means.
By from the user standpoint, the second set of tools is needed if the
"--target" option was specified and its argument is different from the
one for the "--host" option.

I would also like to get rid of ac_tool_prefix.  I'll have a look.  I
assume we can always look for $target_alias-gcc without falling back to
$target_alias-cc and $target_alias-egcs.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin