grub-devel

Re: EFI Boot on MacPro

From: Ziling Zhao
Subject: Re: EFI Boot on MacPro
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:26:41 -0800

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Ziling Zhao <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 21:14:48 Bean wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM, peter cros <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The kernel vesion may be the bug there, I have found grub.efi needs
> > 2.6.26 or later, configured with EFI enabled, else the result is similar
> > to yours.
> >
> > I have had a grub.efi test package built from vesion 1913, running  in
> > ubuntuforums.com (apple intel) for a while, a number of people tried it.
> >
> > grub.efi it would load and run for Apple MacBook2,1, Apple mini2,1
> > MacBook pro 2,2 or earlier , i.e. none of the current Apple MacBooks, but
> > no reports   for Apple xserver, Imac or Mac Pro.
>
> Later models have switched to 64-bit firmware, you need to use
> x86_64-efi version of grub2.

Which models switched to 64bit firmware? Form the looks of it, all of them are
still using EFI 1.x, does Grub2 support EFI 1.x with x86_64?

I believe the kernel version that I am running is 2.6.27.

I'll try again with the x86_64 version of Grub2 tomorrow.

~Ziling Zhao

I haven't been able to get the x86_64 version of grub2 to boot yet. However, I did try a x86 kernel vs. the x86_64 one i was using before, and it stalled at the same point that the x86_64 kernel.

It is, still a 2.6.27 kernel though, I still need to test with 2.6.26 and see what happens.

Is there a .config I can look at?

--
~Ziling Zhao