grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 on efi32 - Apple Mac Mini

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: GRUB2 on efi32 - Apple Mac Mini
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:22:00 +0100

2008/12/10 peter cros <address@hidden>:
> My current preferred bootloader is SVN version 1913 grub2.efi here on an
> Apple MacBook2,1. running Macosx10.4 and Ubuntu810 i386 32bit kernel (2.6.27
> kernel), together with rEFIt 0.12 (but also used standalone).
>
> The amd64 kernel loaded but failed to complete initialization.
>
> Glad to know grub.efi still runs on the mini.
>
> To date I have not seen any reports of running on later MacBook versions.
> and the apple efi refused to load grub.efi on a macbook3,1. I have been
> trying to get Ubuntu forum people to test on other macs.
>
> I can comment on some of the issues  mentioned.
>
> The rEFIt blesser resets to bless rEFIt on exit from Macosx.
> The explanation for this is on the rEFIt site.
>
> rEFIt has a case problem. The efi directory, containing grub.efi and
> refit.efi, needs to be upper case 'EFI' not 'efi', rEFIt confuses the case
> in the prefix passed to grub, hence loss of the grub.cfg menu.
>
> The failure to boot legacy bios may be associated with loss of MBR sector
> partitioning table (happens with the ubuntu linux parted partitioner for
> GPT/MBR disks). Check by a hexdump of the MBR sector.

yes, I will look at the rEFIt and MBR, thanks.

> I can't get grub.efi to load rEFIt using chainloader, but I don't want to do
> that.
>
> I find considerable advantage over grub-pc is separate installation, off the
> linuix file system, and off the disk MBR sector, plus external drive
> bootability. Requirement to disable accelerated graphics is a stopper for
> some people. Pity it doesn't work on more macs.

Acceleration works fine for me. The VESA framebuffer has weird colours
(from the very start) but the X server runs fine (it locks up from
time to time but that happens on other systems as well so it's
probably unrelated to not having a BIOS). Also the X server would not
run without agp driver at least (unless I would run on top of the
broken VESA fb).

Speaking of removable devices .. it seems that the CD-rom if inserted
becomes hd0 which breaks my grub config.

Thanks

Michal