grub-devel

LVM & RAID10

From: Wojciech Pyczak
Subject: LVM & RAID10
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 02:08:26 +0100

Hello!

I have some troubles setting up grub2 on my configuration. After I bought a new computer I decided to "go wild" and setup everything on top of LVM, with LVM itself on RAID array. I expected there will be some problems and here I am :)

Few words about configuration - I have 2x WD 640GB HDDs, there is single partition on each drive, those partitions are used to build RAID10 array. Aray itself consists of 3 drives (third one is "missing" since I use it in my "old" computer), like I mentioned before it's level 10, with 256kB chunks and far2 layuout. On top of that there is LVM2, consisting of single "storage" group (32MB extents), divided into few logical volumes, including volumes named "root" (/) and "boot" (/boot).

I used latest RescueCD to made this up and installed fresh gentoo. I managed to build entire system, I only needed to boot it. So, I emerged (using my own custom ebuild) Grub2 SVN version (successfully) and tried to make everythig work but it appers life is not so easy :P. The only clue I have is (completly mysterius to me) error message: "We don't support multiple metadata areas".

AFAIK both LVM and RAID10 are supported and it's possible to boot grub from LVM volume, am I wrong ?
Or perhaps I'm missing something ?
Is there any example of LVM/RAID config files ?
What happens if array (RAID 5, 6, 10) is incomplete (disk failure/missing) - maybe that's the problem ? And in that case, how I'm supposed to boot system in such situations ?